[filmscanners] Lab closings?

>When you see major, established film based pro labs >closing down because
>their clientele has all gone digital >(whether they should have diversified is
>another >question...), one has to question where any major growth >in
>filmscanner sales will continue to come from?

This is an interesting turn in the conversation, but I must have missed the
names of labs that have closed.
I use Miller's (http://www.millerlab.com)

Miller's is arugably the largest portrait and wedding
lab in the world. Their latest newsletter addresses the
move to digital, but I think there are far fewer people
moving to digital than the media would have us think.
Miller's says their digital camera based printing tripled,
and increased to over 10 million dollars. That having been
said, they processed over 2 million rolls of film in 2002,  and over 80% of
their revenue is film based printing. This number dwarfs their digital revenue.
In addition, their film based digital retouching (scanned film) is up over 15%
While Miller's is far from the only lab, being the largest, it seems their
volume would be a good baromoter of the migration, or lack there of to digital.
It seems most professionals are still using film by a huge margin. Of course
this will eventually change, but the rumors of films demise are greatly
exagerated :)

Tim

http://www.timschooler.com