[filmscanners] Re: Re:Re: digital artifacting

"Tim Schooler" <tschooler@cox-internet.com> writes:

>Not at all. Look at the res charts. When the D60 fails to resolve, it
>returns a blur. When the SD9 fails to resolve, it returns high contrast
>incorrect data.

In either case, you have incorrect data.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

No. In the D60, if a line is sharp, it's sharp because the lens/sensor
combination resolved it. In the Foveon, if a line is sharp, you don't know
whether it was because there was a sharp line out there or it was because
the sensor decided to report a sharp line arbitrarily and randomly.

>Scan provia at 4000 dpi. Crop out 2000x3000 pixles. Now aim your D60 at the
>same subject, but compose so that the 2000x3000 pixel crop fills the frame.
>Compare those. When I do that, the D60 looks better.

Been there, done that. My 8000 scanner blows away anything I get out
of my digital SLRs. That includes a D60, and an S2.

Mine does too. But if I print cropped scans at 240 dpi, they're a lot softer
than if I print D60 images at 240 dpi.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan