[filmscanners] Re: No more Kodak CD-R's

On 10/18/02 2:05 PM, "Clark Guy" <guy.clark@sbt.siemens.com> wrote:

> I have completely different results with DAT than you.  I am also a very
> busy musician and record most if not all of my concerts.  I got my first DAT
> recorder in 1991, and started making concert recordings with it immediately.
> Last fall, I started making CDs of the first concerts of my old brass band
> from those DAT tapes.  Ten years later, and no dropouts or any audible
> errors.
>
> True, digital audio has alot of error correction built into it, but if there
> were a significant number of errors, I'd hear it.

Probably not.  I don't know the uncorrected error rates for DAT audio and
data recording technologies, but the error requirements for recording
digital data are far more stringent than for recording audio.

Think about it - one incorrect bit can cause a multimegabyte file to be
unusable.  One incorrect bit in a few megabytes of an audio stream is likely
to be unnoticed.

In my previous place of employment, our department went through several DAT
machines, and the admin was constantly cursing at them.  When I was
considering a tape backup for my own use, I asked for a recommendation from
someone who works in the media division of 3M (they make tapes in several
digital formats).  She recommended Travan, which is an older technology than
DAT, but (according to her) much more reliable.  I used a Travan 4 drive for
several years without any glitches.  Currently I am backing up to hard disk
and CD-R (Mitsui Gold).

--
Julian Vrieslander <julianv@mindspring.com>