[filmscanners] RE: No more Kodak CD-R's

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: No more Kodak CD-R's
  • From: "Clark Guy" <guy.clark@sbt.siemens.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:05:59 -0500

HI, Tony et al..

I have completely different results with DAT than you.  I am also a very
busy musician and record most if not all of my concerts.  I got my first DAT
recorder in 1991, and started making concert recordings with it immediately.
Last fall, I started making CDs of the first concerts of my old brass band
from those DAT tapes.  Ten years later, and no dropouts or any audible
errors.

True, digital audio has alot of error correction built into it, but if there
were a significant number of errors, I'd hear it.

It may be that I was lucky, but I've had very good luck with DAT. (mostly
used-once Hewlett Packard branded tapes (Maxell manufactured, I think...)
from www.tape.com )

(oh, yes, I've also had pretty good luck with my old DAT computer backups.
I haven't needed one in years, but the last time I did was some five years
after it was made.   I have, however, had troubles reading DATs made on a
different drive than the one I'm trying to read it with.....

As for CDs, once I got the hang of it, and made sure that the computer did
little or no other application while burning it, I stopped making
"coasters"!

I hope these CDs last as long as the DATs have!!!

BTW:  see some of my photos of my new brass band that I shot with my Kiev MF
equipment, and scanned on my Minolta Scan Multi II scanner:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/guyjclark/lst?.dir=/Chicago+Brass+Band&.view=t

Guy Clark