[filmscanners] Re: A partial fix for Minolta scanners?

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 02:22:59 -0700  Arthur Entlich (artistic-1@shaw.ca)
wrote:

> For people who dodged the QC bullet and got one without "lazy sensor"
> lines, and for those who either do not have the calibration problems, or
> find the transient nature not much of an issue, I have some potential
> good news.

I recently got sent sample scans by a Minolta user showing
periodic tramlines across the frame when using Vuescan, but not Minolta
s/w. My response:-

> > If you go to you will be able to see to cropped versions
> > http://www.onedition.com/Minolta.jpg
> > http://www.onedition.com/Vuescan.jpg
>
> How weird.
>
> From previous experience I would look at
> - is the CPU fast enough?
> - is there enough RAM?
> - is there enough disk space?
> - does the disk need defragging?
> - is there some other program actively running which is stealing CPU
> cycles?
>
> Any of the above, or a combination, may be responsible. VS is a bit
> sensitive to such issues, and I have had spurious lines in the past due
> to the last, cured by not running the offending prog. Check your startup
> progs and use Start|Run|Msconfig to temporarily disable everything for a
> test.
>
> One other thing : your SCSI controller should be set to asynchronous
> operation. If it's set to synchronous, this sort of thing may happen. It
> will probably tell your during boot-up, and if an Adaptec, Ctrl-A will
> get you into the config interface.
>
> If none of this helps, I'd suggest asking Ed - edhamrick@aol.com - he is
> usually helpful about such things. You could also ask on the
> filmscanners list, in case any other Minolta owners have seen similar.
> As you say, it doesn't seem to be a scanner fault.
>
> Regards

This may of course be a different fault.

Re diffusers, yes, it's an obvious thing to attempt and I had wondered
about experimenting myself, since somewhere I have some thin plastic
diffuser sheet.  I still think a filter drawer, just like enlargers, would
be useful on a filmscanner. Lightsource design is a subtle business, and I
doubt it gets the attention it should, sidelined by technology.

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk
Online portfolio & exhibit + film scanner info & comparisons