[filmscanners] Re: Compression >> Wide range digitalcameras

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:17:48 -0400  Austin Franklin
(darkroom@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:17:48 -0400
> Sender: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
> From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
> To: tonysleep@halftone.co.uk
> Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Compression >> Wide range digitalcameras
>
> Tony,
>
> > CCD sensors
> > can now achieve 14 stops range,
>
> What full frame imaging CCD sensors do that in a "normal" camera?  There
> are
> some that if you actively cool them, and control their environment, you
> might get that kind of response from them...but that's not really a
> usable
> device for a 35mm-esque type camera.

I don't know. I am going on the strength of an article I read some months
ago on the state of the art in CCD based cameras. It was primarily about
studio backs, not 35mm.

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk
Online portfolio & exhibit + film scanner info & comparisons