[filmscanners] Re: Compression >> Wide range digitalcameras

This problem has occurred to me too as a disincentive to going fully
digital.   My normal photography is with negative film for the reasons you
state - to capture almost everything in a wide brightness range, and work
on it later to produce an acceptable contrast final image.  This can't work
with "normal" digital cameras because they have to produce the "acceptable"
contrast image first up, in doing so they have to throw away a lot of good
information.

So - is there a digital camera that allows you to record a
wide-brightness-range raw file?  If not, why not?

Julian R