[filmscanners] Re: CD RW Problem

John Rossi wrote:

Thanks for all the good information. I am using Adapcet's Direct CD Creator
program.  I will look for an updated version of the software and updated
drivers for my Sony CRX140E burner.
I like the idea of using CD-R's rather than CD-RW's.  I think this will be a
more stable solution.
Any ideas on how I can access files on the damaged CD?  I shot a wedding
(not an assignment but as a guest) and got some great shots.  I can see the
.jpg files in explorer but cannot open them.  When I try to open one my PC
hangs up and usually requires a reboot.  I have tried running Adapcet's fix
disk but that did not work.  There are other files on this disk in different
folders that I can open, however none can be opened in the effected folder.
Thanks to all for the good information.  John Rossi

John I have a Sony CRX140E.  It replaced a CRX100E that produced more
coasters than readable CDs.  The problem persisted with CRX140E until I
replaced the Adaptec software with Nero.  Now I write multi-session and
complete CDs without problems.

Nero even told me that it couldn't read the TOC on some Adaptec written
discs that had problems.  Something that Adaptec didn't do.  Nero cost less
than 30GBP and, IMHO is very good value.

I'm sure make of CD has some bearing on success in writing CDs and, perhaps,
how long a CD will remain readable.  I'm currently using TDK and Maxell
CD-Rs and Sony CD-RWs.  (Though the CD-RWs are rotated for weekly backup
rather than archival.)

Bob