[filmscanners] RE: Grain aliasing: Thoughts, solutions?

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Grain aliasing: Thoughts, solutions?
  • From: "Laurie Solomon" <laurie@advancenet.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:14:35 -0500

Since T400CN is a chromogenic film, it technically does not have any grain
structure in terms of individual silver halide crystals but rather a dye
cloud.  While the constituent compnents of the dye cloud may appear as if it
were grain, the questions become (1) can one actually get grain alaising
with these films such that the methods for dealing with that problem will
work with those films and (2) does it act and respond to grain reduction
functions in scanning software in the same way as true grain.  Many methods
of reducing the grainy appearance also blur or reduce the detail as well
since they involve diffusion, blurring, defocusing, etc.

In the end, You will find that attempts to resolve this sort of problem in
any scan with any film often involve trade-offs in terms of loss of detail
and sharpness.