[filmscanners] Re: Epson 2200 does it exist?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Bowling" <psb@lanl.gov>
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 4:40 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] Epson 2200 does it exist?

>>There is some talk on the web about the Epson 2200.  I see web links to
>>places in UK (I am in the US) that sell the Epson 2100.

>>But the US seems to be dry.<<

Stuart:

My experience is "Yes and NO".

I live about 45 miles out of Seattle and the nearest honest-to-god camera
store near me actually has one that I could drool on. They also had some
test prints. I talked to the salesman who is testing this one.  He just got
it and, so far, has only run a few color charts.  The three I saw were each
on a different paper and, as he said, none were "dialed in" yet so I can't
really comment on the output.  I can take in a file of mine and have him
print it.  Fortunately one of the papers he is trying to set up on is the
paper I normally use.  I will get a much better feel for the output then. At
present, for color, I am using an 870 and, as long as I frame them behind
glass, I have been satisfied.

He told me that he was expecting four of them in two weeks.  I put my name
on the list to be called when they come in.  I was number three!

They are selling them for list - $695.00 USD.  I have been looking on line
and see them advertised for up to $40.00 less (plus shipping and handling -
$15 to $20?).  I think I will go with my local dealer. Having a store 15
minutes from my house that carries Photo paper (digital and traditional),
darkroom supplies, cameras, a wide variety of films - including sheet films,
books, and knowledgeable people who are fun to talk with is worth a lot more
than the on-line savings.

Anyway, now that I am through with my rant, yes the 2200 is real but, no, I
could not take one home. The salesman sounded more hopeful than sure that he
would have his units in the time he was told.  The media reviews I have been
reading are really high on this printer.  I expect the front load of orders
for them is high and the bigger dealers are getting them first.

Dan Williams