[filmscanners] Re: IV ED dynamic range

Charlie writes:

> I've found it possible to improve the shadow
> details slightly by multipass scanning the slide
> (using Vuescan). I doubt that it will approach
> the results of an LS 4000, but I think you can
> easily see an improvement.

I've seen very little change over the multipass range on my LS-8000ED with
multipass (I think it uses very similar hardware to the 4000); it gets
better but not amazingly so.

Nevertheless, I'm getting excellent dynamic range.  I have two examples of
images scanned on the LS-8000ED from 6x6 on my site:

http://www.atkielski.com/Wallpapers/display.php?picfile=EiffelTowerNight2&pi
cwidth=1600&picheight=1200
http://www.atkielski.com/Wallpapers/display.php?picfile=NotreDameNight2&picw
idth=1600&picheight=1200

Both were scanned in "superfine" mode (1 CCD working--not applicable to the
LS-4000) at 16x multipass.  I'm not really convinced that either of these
made much difference, but since the scenes were night scenes with a great
deal of shadow and high contrast, I figured I'd try them.  The difference
between these and earlier scans with 4x multipass and normal (3 CCD) scan
mode (known for banding in high contrast images on the LS-8000ED) was very
minimal.  I also had the "normal" level of digital ICE turned on, which was
hugely useful because there was just too much dust on the slides (even
though they had come straight from the lab).  Comparison to images without
the normal level of D-ICE revealed no loss of resolution with D-ICE turned
on, so I used it.

Film was Provia 100F exposed for eight seconds (Provia has no reciprocity
failure under 2 minutes).  Colors were corrected in Photoshop (Provia
renders HPS lighting a bit greenish).