[filmscanners] IV ED dynamic range

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] IV ED dynamic range
  • From: "Alex Zabrovsky" <alexz@zoran.co.il>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:36:58 +0200

Hi.
Yesterday I scanned a few night scenic slides and was again a bit
disappointed by insufficient dynamic range delivered by my IV ED. The
original clearly shows fine details in shadows and even in dark areas whilst
the scan rendered this areas as almost black.
Frankly, raising Analog Gain help somewhat revealing considerably more, but
then as you obviously realize there is impact on highlights.
Although the manufacturer claims dynamic range to be about 3.6 (seems to be
derived just from 12 bit color resolution), but in practice I suspect it
barely reaches 3.0-3.2.

Photoshop Levels and sometimes Curves manipulation reveal much more details
in most cases which tells that that technically, the scanner is capable to
perform better (since these details where there although being hidden in
straight scan)

I still hope I do something wrong and didn't get the most out of my IV ED
(well I very seldom use 12 bit scanning, perhaps this is a problem ?)

Regards,
Alex Z