[filmscanners] RE: Density vs Dynamic range

> > ... if your luminosity range contains a 6 stop
> > range, which is within the tolerance of slide
> > film, and you shoot the scene on slide film and
> > neg film, of the two frames of film I believe
> > the slide frame would be the one with the higher
> > dynamic range.
>
> No passive system has dynamic range.  Slides and negatives do not, in
> themselves, have dynamic range.  Only the combination of a slide
> or negative
> with some sort of active process--such as viewing, scanning, exposure, or
> development--can have dynamic range.

Anthony,

That's absolutely wrong.  Film, in and of it self, has dynamic range.  There
IS noise in film, it exists whether it's being viewed or not.  There is also
a range of density that is recorded on the film, and that's all that is
needed to determine dynamic range.

Of course, you do have to do something "active" to measure the noise, just
like music has to be played to measure the noise, but that doesn't mean the
content doesn't have inherent noise, and range in it.  It seems like you are
claiming an audio system has no noise, because it's not turned on, which is
entirely different than the noise inherent in the media, which exists even
when it's not being "used".

> Slides and negatives have
> only density
> ranges inherently, not dynamic ranges.

So you claim film has no inherent noise, in and of it self, unless you are
"viewing" it?  Does the noise of music recorded on a CD not exist until it
isn't being played?

I think you're being really obscure here...

Austin