[filmscanners] Re: Density vs Dynamic range

>> Slides and negatives have
>> only density
>> ranges inherently, not dynamic ranges.
>
> So you claim film has no inherent noise, in and of it self, unless you are
> "viewing" it?  Does the noise of music recorded on a CD not exist until it
> isn't being played?
>
> I think you're being really obscure here...

Austin

I'm not taking sides here 'cause I really don't know the answer, but
considering Anthony's premise...

Won't the Dynamic Range of a piece of exposed film vary depending on the
strength, and perhaps quality, of light shone through it? The callier effect
comes to mind...Similarly, won't the dynamic range of an audio system be
different at different volumes? I would imagine at low volume the bass of
the system would be low relative to the rest of the scale (why "loudness"
controls were invented), and surely at max volume clipping and distortion
would increase noise and lower the DyR.

So, while I don't know whether these things conceptually have a DyR while
turned off, it does seem plausible that whatever their DyR is, it's relative
to how they are viewed and played.

Would that make it a dynamic dynamic range???  ;-)

Todd