[filmscanners] Archiving and when to sharpen (was: Color spaces for differentpurposes)

>Sharpness cannot be restored, it can only be simulated.  Sharpening causes
>deterioration in image quality, so it should be avoided until the image is
>about to be prepared for a specific use.  I archive all my images without
>sharpening.

Agree.  This is how I do mine.  I'll do all the crop, tonal and other
adjustments -- except resizing -- and archive that photoshop psd file (and the
original vuescan raw scan file).  Then for specific "purposing" I'll resize or
resample as appropriate and sharpen as a last step before sending file to its
destination.  As this discussion has pointed out, the specific actions for
purposing will be different depending on the use and destination.  Even
sharpening: some places will do their own sharpening (as mentioned).  If I know
this then I'll only lightly sharpen edges (a first stage of a two pass
sharpening process, described in a Creativepro article by Bruce Fraser at
<www.creativepro.com/story/feature/12189.html?origin=story>).  This article
addresses one of the discussion items of this thread here: in Fraser's words
"one of the important questions about sharpening: When in the image-editing
process should you sharpen?"

Another aspect of purposing, different for different destinations, is the file
format.  I've had more than one publicist and publisher request that I provide
(email, ftp) a jpeg in preference to a tiff because of the file size.  (For
this I use a high/maximum quality in photoshop terms: 10 to 12.)

--
Bob Shomler
http://www.shomler.com/