[filmscanners] Re: Re:Computer size: RAID

John writes:

> Opening and saving 128MB files might be
> faster but would PS in general be faster
> given that I assume there would be little
> need to go to the scratch disk with that
> much RAM.

As long as PS can hold everything in memory, disk drive speed will have no
effect on performance, so if you have enough RAM to keep PS happy, you can
use any kind of disks you want.  You're correct that opening and closing
files would be faster, though (since that requires disk I/O).

> Trying to figure out whether any increased
> performance would be worth the loss of data
> if one of the drives goes.

Just take back-ups.  You need back-ups no matter how reliable your disks
are, if you are doing anything important (particularly work that earns you
money!) on your system.

> How, also, does RAID interact with PS's
> desire for partitions?

I don't believe PS has any awareness of RAID.  I know that Adobe thinks it
can manage memory better than any operating system, but there's a limit to
how much they can fool around with disk (and memory).  So the only important
factor is the _speed_ of the disks.

> Comments on my reasoning on this (or lack of it)?

It all seems sound.  Video and still-image editing are significantly
different realms, though--their one common point is that they require
mountains of hardware, more than just about any other computer application a
person might care to run.  Essentially all of the RAM on my machine is just
for photo editing; if I were not doing that, I could get by with barely more
than 10% of what I have installed now.  And things will only get worse in
the future.