[filmscanners] RE: Re:Computer size(New Topic)

>If you use 15000 RPM drives, you soon have to start worrying about keeping
the
whole machine from melting down in its own heat.

Actually, Anthony, a "disk array" is external to the system and has cooling
designed for the hotter drives.

>Wouldn't it be cheaper to just add a raft of RAM instead of an SCSI disk
array?

I did say "to carry disk performance to the max." That's DISK PERFORMANCE.

Maximum RAM is always the first priority for still image editing, but in the
system I mentioned, I think the capture card is writing straight to disk.
For realtime video capture from a DVCAM or Beta SP device the sustained
capture rate is extreme. 8GB is a common file size, and I recently did some
in the range of 17GB. Is there a PC motherboard that supports that much RAM?

Denis