[filmscanners] Re: 3 year wait

Arthur writes:

> I believe what Anthony is saying is that
> it is rare that a 10 stop difference would
> occur in adjacent areas of an image, not that
> a full image wouldn't contain a 10 stop range
> of contrast.

Actually both.  I can't recall offhand seeing a 10-stop range in a single
image, excluding light sources and specular highlights (which often zoom
right off the scale--but you'd never realistically try to record detail in
those anyway).  Even between deep shadows and sunlit highlights, the
differences shown by my spot meters do not exceed half a dozen stops or so
in most cases, and I don't remember any specific cases of ten-stop
differences, although I'm sure there have been a few almost artificially
extreme cases in which they appeared.

Even right here in front of my PCs, in a darkened room with a few light
sources, I can get only about a 8-9 stop difference between the brilliantly
lit white ceiling above a halogen lamp and the dark shadow under a desk.