----- Original Message -------------------
From: "Bob Frost" <bob@frost.name>

The irritating Messenger program (unless you actually want to message your
friends and chat to help at MS) can be stopped without going into the
Registry. One way is simply to type msconfig in the Run box, and then to
uncheck the Messenger program under the Startup tag. You can still run it if
you want to by clicking on Messenger in your program list.

I think you can also uninstall Messenger in the Add/remove programs dialog.