From: "Peter Marquis-Kyle" <petermk@optushome.com.au>
To: <dickbo@btopenworld.com>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 5:16 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS4000 Depth of field

dickbo discounts the problems of glass mounted slides deteriorating:

> I have several carosel's here which contain glass mounted Kodachromes at
> least 30 years old and nothing has happened yet. The worst that cane be
said
> is that every now and again it is necessary to re seat them in order to
> remove newton rings.

But there's a logical flaw in saying "I never saw it, so it doesn't exist".
Storage conditions -- temperature, humidity, presence of fungal spores --
will
have an influence. I have seen enough mouldy glass mounted slides to take
this
issue seriously (I live in the sub-tropical zone). As to out-gassing, I
would
keep an ear open to what the conservators say.

Peter Marquis-Kyle