[filmscanners] Re: LS-8000 glass holders, was My Public Apology

Dave writes:

> Looking at the LS-8000 help files it appears
> only the single frame rotating glass holder
> comes with overlay spacers?

No, the strip film glass holder comes with them, too, but they are supposed
to be used only for short strips of film, according to the manual.  They are
sized such that I wouldn't be able to put them in without obscuring part of
the frames to be scanned, anyway.

> As I work with the LS-8000 I see the DOF is
> indeed limited as others have noted, and think
> the glass holder is a good accessory for
> critical scans, but the damn thing retails for
> $350:(

Yup.  After all, it's sold by Nikon.

> Making spacers isn't difficult (black "craft"
> paper is sufficient), and it keeps contact
> pressure low where (and if) the base side
> touches glass.

Hmm.