[filmscanners] Re: My Public Apology

Arthur writes:

> On my monitor, there is some distinct, what
> appears to be Newton Ring color distortion in
> the sky of this scan.

Yes, I see it, now that it has been pointed out.  I see another ring up near
the condensation trail in the sky.  They are pretty faint on my monitor,
albeit difficult to ignore once noticed.

> It is quite noticeable in the sky in the middle
> of the Eiffel tower and just above the right-hand
> building closest to the tower.

It does not seem obvious on my monitor (or to my eyes).  I hope this does
not mean a problem with the monitor (which is several years old).  I try to
calibrate it regularly.

> Was a glass carrier used to scan this image?

Yes.  It greatly improves the focus, but I have to blow a hurricane of
compressed air over the carrier and film to try to keep them clean, and as
you can see, I'm still getting interference.  These rings don't look like
dust, though--more like a slight flexing of the film, or something.

I'm open to suggestions on how to get rid of this.  The glass carrier for
the 8000ED already contains anti-newton glass, and I blow everything clean
over and over.