[filmscanners] Re: Scanning negs vs. slides

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>>Believe me, the original scene was not like that
>>thru' the viewfinder.
>>

> Actually it was; it's just that your eye adjusted as it moved between areas
> of sharply different luminosities.  Unfortunately, film can't do that.

I wasn't aware our eyes had a piece of film in the back of them.
I'm aware we have "auto-exposure variable aperture lenses" (actually the
aperture ring (iris) is in front of the lens, but I suspect we have a
better contrast range than most films are capable of.  We also have auto
white balance, although its slow both directions, and even adjustable
sensitivity sensors (also a bit slow), but our vision is a bit more
flexible than film, even if our eye didn't move between areas of
differing luminosities.

Art