[filmscanners] Re: Scanning negs vs. slides

Tony writes:

> !!!!!!!! Have you never shot a slide and gotten
> utterly vanished shadow detail and thermonuclear
> highlights which lack detail entirely...?

Sure.  Slides sacrifice detail at the extremes in order to make the dynamic
range in the middle more detailed and realistic.  The total amount of image
information recorded, however, is the same.

> Believe me, the original scene was not like that
> thru' the viewfinder.

Actually it was; it's just that your eye adjusted as it moved between areas
of sharply different luminosities.  Unfortunately, film can't do that.