[filmscanners] Re: The"Pepper Grain" problem

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: The"Pepper Grain" problem
  • From: "Roger Smith" <rsmith@unb.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 23:01:12 -0300

At 10:32 AM -0400 4/16/02, Martin Greene wrote:
>I read your follow-up.  This certainly broadens the problem.  Since I use a
>Sprintcscan 4000 and therefore do not have the use of ICE, I guess I'll have
>to continue to spend an hour or so with the rubber stamp on each image.
>What a fate.

        I have been curious to hear from a user of the SS4000, as to
whether or not the pepper grain is prominent. I seem to remember that
this scanner, unlike the Minoltas and Nikons, tends to show less of
the dirt and film defects. For example, my previous scanner, a Canon
FS2710 (2720ppi), did not show any hint of 'pepper grain', whereas my
Minolta Scan Dual II (2820ppi) makes it very obvious.
        Can you even begin to eliminate the thousands of tiny specks
with the rubber stamp? I wouldn't know where to start. Fortunately I
have never actually seen the specks in any of my prints, at least up
to 13x19. I realize many people make much bigger prints than that,
and that's where the problem lies.

Regards,
Roger Smith