[filmscanners] Re: Scanning negs vs. slides

Alex writes:

> Generally, I cannot complain about his scanning
> abilities, although sometimes those details in
> dark areas barely visible in light table under
> loupe are blocked completely after scanning.

What does Photoshop say about those areas?  Many monitors have a tough time
with extremely dark values, and shadow details may not be visible on screen.

Crank up the Curves in Photoshop so that all the low values are expanded
across the luminosity range, and you'll see how much detail there really is
in shadows.  At least for my 8000ED scans, there is quite a bit hidden in
there.

> Applying excessive Master analog gain of my
> IV ED sometimes reveals those details but of
> course on expense of highlights which became
> burnt out in this case.

Use Photoshop first to see what is really out there.

I routinely steepen the Curves at the front and back (dark and light) to
better bring out detail in shadows and highlights.  It's delicate work, but
it can produce nice results.