[filmscanners] Re: Difficult scan problem

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:59:51 -0500  Laurie Solomon (laurie@advancenet.net)
wrote:

> Since there are various types of fluorescent tubes that
> can generate a variety of color casts, I would suggest that one would
> probably need some information on what type of tube is being used in the
> microscope lamp and what sorts of luminescences it in combination with
> the
> subject generate that the film may see and register that would be out of
> gamut for digitalization, for monitor color spaces, or for printer color
> spaces to determine if it indeed can be digitally reporduced as it
> appears
> on the transparency or on the photographic prints from the negatives.

Hmm. I'm sure you're right, in a thoroughgoing, theoretical sense. My
inclination would just be to suck it and see what you can get out the end
of the process, given that there's not much which escapes modern colour
neg, although there are bound to be minor changes and distortions of hue.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons