[filmscanners] Re: Scanning negs vs. slides

TonySleep@halftone.co.uk wrote:
> Neg, every time. There's zero possibility of CCD noise in the those huge
> dark shadows...

I have been thinking, for negatives we need to expose for the
shadow areas, so this leads to low shutter speed. This works against
you in low light situations, since you are often at your lowest
handheld shutter speed already.

Will slide work better here? Dense shadow vs no shadow details?

And "zero possibility of CCD noise"? :-) I think it depends on your
scanner. The LS-30 (in single pass mode) is not very good at both
extremes.

Check out the first picture of
  http://homex.coolconnect.com/member4/nhyone/TiomanTrip/Main.html

(Let me know if you can't see it. I've heard this site may not be
reachable by all ISPs.)

The photo consists mainly of shadow area, and it is very noisy.
This is Superia 400 scanned with the LS-30. Long exposure helps, as
does multiple pass.

(void *) &NHY;

*  That's all, folks!  *