[filmscanners] Re: Scanning negs vs. slides

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:13:00 +1000  Julian Robinson (jrobinso@pcug.org.au)
wrote:

>   I can get my negs to be punchy and saturated and spectacular, but
> never that smoothness velvetiness or richness that a well exposed slide
> brings.
>
> But that said I use negs almost always, for the reasons Tony said here.

I can't say I've particularly noticed this with similar-ISO materials, eg
400 slide vs 400 neg (neg wins!) or 100 slide vs 100 neg (tie, more or
less). A possible exception may be slower materials like Kodachrome and
Velvia, I haven't shot negs of comparable speed. The heavier dye densities
of tranny should produce more diffusion and less obvious grain, which would
support your case, however I do tend to downrate neg by ~0.5 stop whenever
possible just 'cos it has the effect of diffusing grain.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons