[filmscanners] Re: Scanning negs vs. slides

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Scanning negs vs. slides
  • From: "david/lisa soderman" <scapes@wi.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:02:41 -0500

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> If I'm shooting handheld, I use high-speed color negative film, usually
> Kodak Portra 800.  All the Portra films are a dream to scan, usually
> excellent results.

This is a "blanket statement" if ever I saw one.  I never did like "blanket
statements".

I grant that the above may very well be true with your Nikon unit.  However,
you may wish to revisit my web pages that dealt with this matter.

www.dreamscapesphoto.com/files/p23graintest.htm
www.dreamscapesphoto.com/files/p25reztest.htm

You might also consider chatting with Simon Lamb who recently tested Portra
film on the Minolta Scan Multi Pro, The Nikon 8000ED, the Polaroid SS120 and
even the Imacon Flextite.
Of all the above scanners, the Nikon was the only one that was able to
deliver a pleasing scan (without grain/noise) using Portra.

Joyfully,  -david soderman- <><