[filmscanners] Re: GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000 vs.Minolta ScanMulti Pro!

From: "david/lisa soderman" <scapes@wi.net>

>Meanwhile... any thoughts, comments, questions or suggestions are warmly
>welcome.

I don't own either scanner, I in fact just picked up a Polaroid SS120.  The
way I see it is the Nikon 8000 is the sharpest scanner of these three
(Polaroid, Minolta, Nikon).  In every comparison I've seen (three or four
now) it's obvious.  In your comparison for example it's easiest to see in
the eyebrow.  There is really no contest here, the Nikon is substantially
better.  Apparently the better resolution helps in some way to reduce grain
aliasing too.

One trade off with the LS-8000 is reduced DOF, but personally I could live
with that.  I've been printing photography all my life and if I can't figure
out ways to get film flat then I haven't learned much.  The highest res
enlarging setups have no DOF either, and guess what, many of them use Apo-El
Nikkors.  The other LS-8000 limitation I cannot live with however is the
reduced usefulness with Kodachrome and B&W, and that's the reason I chose
the SS120.

If I were concerned only with scanning color negs I would choose the Nikon
in a heartbeat.  NikonScan has the best neg film color correction too,
except maybe Vuescan, but Vuescan is more work.

Dave King