[filmscanners] Re: VueScan FIY

I have both Nikonscan and Vuescan and use Nikonscan 99% of the time because
it is faster, easier, and handles dust and scratches better.  I really find
it difficult to use Vuescan help system and never feel comfortable that I
am using it efficiently.  I also got on Ed's bad side once by asking for
some better control of new versions and some regression testing so that the
constant new versions didn't bring new faults to old functionality.

I still think he and we would be better off if he charged $10 more and used
this to pay someone to help him with a couple of things:

a) handle his new versions and testing more systematically
b) write and maintain better manual and searchable help files

As has been pointed out, he has had plenty of offers for the latter, and it
would actually be ideal for an uninvolved person to do - they can usually
write better help files than the author, assuming the author checks it and
has an input.

But, I use Vuescan sometimes because its processing sometimes gives better
results, and I do sometimes use Ed's "poor man's ROC (color
reconstruction)" which works better than I can manipulate PS.

I wish I was confident I understood Vuescan properly.

Julian