[filmscanners] Re: filmscanner for business use

bobkehl@kvernkehl.com wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> Good point.  I have an older version of Vuescan, but I've been using
> NikonScan because it seems to do a better job with dust and scratch removal.
> I also love the full roll preview window.  It saves time for rotating.  But
> saving time is of no use if it uses more time due to crashes.  My timing
> tests indicate Vuescan is also faster.  I'll update my version and give it a
> try.  Thanks for the advice.

Well, the speed of processing might be less exciting in the
recent Vuescan. Vuescan became really way slower. Since the
color rendition and the autoexposure is so good, the preview
of the entire roll is in most cases not that essential. The
result is very good in most cases and the few exceptions can
be than repeated with different settings.

Vuescan on a 333MHz PC with 384Mbyte is as slow as 7-8min per
image, thus 37 frames take approx. 260min, over 4 hours per roll.
For a professional use this might be a factor as it's directly
predicts the maximum throughput. It takes approx. 1-2min for
a physical scan in 14bit mode at 4000dpi and than 5-6min to
process the data in Vuescan.

Of course, the speed of my PC is not contemporary, I just
hesitate to upgrade and to restore my entire installation. On
a 1.5GHz processor this processing time in Vuescan might be
just about 1/5 of my values.

The SA-30 is very reliable. The slide feeder may cause a great
deal of trouble. I have also discovered that SA-30 works perfect
with LS-4000 in horizontal position what makes adapter change
much easier.

Which version of Vuescan are you using? The 7.5.8 is current,
I mostly resort to 7.3.13.

Thomas.