[filmscanners] Re: VueScan Long Pass (was: noise in Canon FS4000)

Roger sent me some samples of his experiments with Vuescan's long pass
using the Minolta Dual II recently, since I also own one, and it is
really a substantial improvement over what Minolta's software can do
(pretty ugly green noise in the shadows) and a reasonable improvement
over Vuescan's one pass scan, as well.

I have tried Vuescan with the multiple pass on the Minolta, (I tried 4
scans) and it makes a slight improvement over the one pass and Minolta's
software, but the long pass was a considerable improvement over the
multi-pass, and I assume it also saves a lot of time as well.

I haven't yet tried the long pass in the newer Vuescan versions... I
believe i tried an older one with the Dimage Dual II and it was not very
good (if memory serves me... I could be wrong on that), but what Roger
sent recently showed a marked improvement over both Minolta's software
and the one pass in Vuescan.  In fact, for anyone serious about scanning
with the Minolta Dual II, who is working with slides with darker areas
or underexposure, it is probably a worthwhile investment.

Art