[filmscanners] VueScan Long Pass (was: noise in Canon FS4000)

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] VueScan Long Pass (was: noise in Canon FS4000)
  • From: "Roger Smith" <rsmith@unb.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:39:45 -0400

At 2:12 PM +0000 3/1/02, Steve Greenbank wrote:
>There is a perceived problem with noise with the Canon FS4000.
>
>I wondered if the problem was related to the scanning software as I get much
>less noise with Vuescan on a Microtek Artixscan 4000T (these are frequently
>perceived as having more noise than Polaroid SS4000 - perhaps its the
>software not better quality control as suggested on this list).

        I think there is something to this. I get better scans using
VueScan from my Minolta Scan Dual II - less noise as well as better
colour.
        On a related topic - I've recently been using the Long Pass
feature in VueScan, again with the Scan Dual II, and I'm amazed at
the reduction in shadow noise. I stopped using Long Pass with my
earlier Canon FS2710, because of a CCD overload problem which
produced bright red smears in the scans. The Minolta doesn't seem to
suffer from this problem, and I've been getting good scans from some
previously almost unusable dark slides.

Regards,
Roger Smith