[filmscanners] Re: Foveon

Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> This is a bit off-topic, but it may interest people on this list.
>
> The NY Times has a report on a new digital sensor technology, which might
> have advantages over CMOS and CCD devices.  One of the principals is
> Carver Mead, who has a pretty good track record as an inventor and
> technology developer.
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/11/technology/11FOVE.html>
>
> The NYT site requires registration, but it's free.

I think the news are about the 16 Mpixels sensor made in
cooperation with National Semiconductors.

  http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20000912S0048

This is simply one more sign for the fast approaching and
inevitable end of the conventional film with its arcane of
problems typical to all analog technologies of information
storage. Here we have the imbalances of chemical development
process causing color deviations, problems with dust free
upkeep and mechanical damages down to the limited longevity
of images caused by fading, bacteria and fungi.

In pair with the next generation of digital cameras we will
have a common access to DVD/RW offering affordable gigabytes
in removable storage for large amount of high resolution images
in an lossless format. In the future we will talk more about
ink jet and dye sublimation printers, their speed and the
longevity of the prints. Scanners in common use will be
only the flatbed scanners.

Celluloid film will share the fate of the once so beloved
33.3rpm vinyl LP's and the diamond needles used to play
them. They are now only in our memories and collectible
items...

Thomas.