[filmscanners] RE: Digital ICE

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Digital ICE
  • From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:09:09 -0600

Hi Clive! Thanks for your interest. I started on Bob Shomler's request for
patent information first. I went to the Delphi site:
http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US06195161__

and found this description:

Surface defects in a reflection scan of a print made with visible light are
corrected by using a scan of the print made with infrared light. This
correction of surface defects is performed by controlling the intensity of
defect detail in the infrared record by multiplying that defect detail by a
gain. The gain varies for each region of the image as a function of the
brightness of the image in that region. The gain approaches unity for white
areas of the image, drops toward zero for darker areas, and approaches a
small negative number for black areas of the image. The gain-multiplied
defect detail is then subtracted from the visible image to create the
corrected image free of the surface defects.

Please check out the site for additional description. I probably wasn't very
accurate when I described it as "looks through". I hope  this description is
helpful.

Good luck scanning!

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction