[filmscanners] Re: Scanning old Lantern Slides (Off Topic)

Art,

I know I asked for opinions and I am truly grateful for yours! However I
have to respond to your statements. How much has film changed since the time
people used 8" floppies and 12" Bernoulli disk? Digital moves on and film
moves on and people update their tools. I am sounding very pro digital here
but my feelings are more centered around the benefits of digital for this
particular purpose.
The process of storage and reproduction you mention are very expensive and
time consuming. I think digital is the way to go. From what I have read
about CDR longevity it's best to stay away from the cheap discs that use
cyan dyes and go with the gold disks i.e. Kodak Ultima brand - these are
reported to last a minimum of 100 years in archival conditions. Sorry to
move this discussion off topic. Again, thanks for your input. And I like
your idea of using tricolor filters and black and white film, but how to do
it with a coated glass transparency?

Regards,

John