[filmscanners] Re: Scanning old Lantern Slides

Regarding archiving... I don't wish to open the can of worms up fully,
but there is a good question as to if digital is a better method of
archiving than film.

Current film dyes are quite stable, especially if care is taken during
processing with archiving in mind.  After that, keep the film in an
acid-free, dark, low humidity and cool temperature, away from abnormal
gases (ozone, CO, hydrocarbons) will keep the film safe for many years
to come.

No standard currently available digital storage system is truly
archival.  Not MO, not PD, and certainly not CDR.  They all are damaged
by some environmental influence.  CDR uses dyes, not so dissimilar to
film.

Further, small damage can make a file completely useless, and also, file
types change and storage media changes every two weeks.  Try finding a
drive to read a 8" floppy or a 10 meg 12" Bernoulli disk.  Heck, it's
hard to find a Syquest 44 drive these days, and that was a "standard".

Actually, one of the best methods of storage is using true black and
white (silver based) color separations.  But this requires 3 frames of
black and white per image and someone good at recreating color from B&W
color separations.

Art