[filmscanners] Re: Scanning old Lantern Slides (Off Topic)

John Prokos wrote:

> Art,
>
> I know I asked for opinions and I am truly grateful for yours! However I
> have to respond to your statements. How much has film changed since the time
> people used 8" floppies and 12" Bernoulli disk? Digital moves on and film
> moves on and people update their tools.

I like digital for many reasons, but archiving isn't one of them.  To
answer your question about how much film has changed since 8" floppies...

Hardly at all.  35mm film still uses the same dimensions and cameras it
did 50 years ago, and in terms of viewing, film has required the same
basic technology to create prints and to view it for the last 100 plus
years.  Try holding a CDR up to the light and figuring out what's on it ;-)

I can gush about what digital has allowed people to do.  Its wonderful!
But as I have mentioned before, when they finally produce a product 1" x
1.5" by nearly paper thickness, which stores about 200 megs of image
information, can be viewed with a simple light source, is archival for
50-100 years if properly stored, and costs under 25 cents, then digital
will have finally "come of age".

Art