[filmscanners] Re: Building PCs ... the RAM.

Thanks Steve for the GREAT ! answer ... absolutely CLEAR and effective .
BTW .. you say :
>I would say disk speed is next important to memory size. SCSI best but very
>expensive,
>followed by IDE RAID, but with a large cache a decent sized 7200rpm disk
>would be adequate - particularly for files 60Mb or less.

I have just bought 4 x IBM SCSI-3 18GB 10Krpm for 95$ each ... new sealed
and under 3 years warranty ... there many other available on eBay cause IBM
is today producing U-160 ONLY ! ... so previous technology is going cheaper
and cheaper till availability will last.
Also ... I have bought a MYLEX AcceleRAID Ultra SCSI (40MB/s sustained) for
48.00 $ also on eBay from same seller ....
Many other are available , but NOT MYLEX U-160 ... TOO EXPENSIVE !  ;o) ...
Today my system is using the other way round ... i.e. Adaptec 29160 + 3 x
IBM U-160 no-raid .... also bought on eBay and 1 of them (very expensive
LIST price ) swapped by IBM because crashed under warranty after 1 year of
work (it was 3 years ago technology / production ... faulty !) . The disk
has been changed in Europe despite it was bought (eBay) in USA and
manufactured in Singapore .....
almost the only good thing coming from globalization (together with
Internet) ;o) ....

Thanks for your advices !

Sincerely.

Ezio