[filmscanners] Re: Silverfast vs. Vuescan

>Overly complicated, finicky, etc is a matter of opinion - we all have our
biases. I find your description to be "word perfect" for many scanner
drivers but I didn't   >(until now) write it in the forum.

You still didn't write it in the forum, I did. I am glad we finally agree on
something.

>"I" use SilverFast because it {suites} my workflow and ensures that I have
a common interface for all my scanning needs. In an ideal world the same
could
>be written of Vuescan, but alas it does NOT fit with my workflow and "I" do
NOT find it to accurately reflect the true range my chromes - so "I" choose
>to use SilverFast.

Well said, in a politically correct fashion. But your 'chromes aren't mine
and "I" find Vuescan working exceptionally well with my 'chromes. Perhaps it
is a question of 'chrome quality?

>This statement is UNTRUE.

How is this untrue? Pay for Vuescan once and get the full load. Buy
Silverfast and pay $45 US currency for upgrades!!??

>I am not justifying the update charge, simply providing you with their
reasoning and demonstrating that they are not
>alone.

So it's OK to gouge the paying public if others do it too??

>and since LaserSoft have chosen to continue with their business model I
think they
>must also be happy.

Of course you and they are happy. They're making money and your interests
are....?

>I don't think "flames" are justified.

I wrote this knowing that you'd be waiting to "take issue" again. No one
seems to disagree with my reasoning or they haven't yet spoken up.

>Nevertheless I do take issue with your erroneous remark regarding upgrade
costs which seems to have gathered a
>momentum of its own on this list.

Gee Mr. Lyons, where is there an erroneous remark? Where am I being
mistaken. You pay more for Silverfast than you do with Vuescan. Perhaps
those who agree with my logic have removed their head from the sand enough
to see when they're getting hosed.

>Many list members who use SilverFast have contacted me privately for
advice, etc over the period that I have been a member. For their own reasons
they stay
>silent. If some of you think that SilverFast is a dog then you can be
assured there are many who think Vuescan, et al bark just as loud.

So the silent majority really should speak up so that they'd be heard and
maybe then the price of Silverfast might be reduced and the product
improved. Hi bit output is yet to come in Silverfast; but it's been here for
a long time on Vuescan!!! Woof; woof!

>Bottomline here is: we all have our opinions and the perfect scanner
software hasn't been written yet.

Here, here! Without constructive criticism, the perfect software shall never
be written. But at least Ed Hamrick is actively participating with his
customer base to get to that loft sooner than a lot of other software
designers. Whoops Version 7.3.11 just got released!!!!!

Sincerely,

Owen