[filmscanners] PC memory type for filmscanning (OT - slightly)

I've been using a Polaroid SS4000 with a wintel platform
that has 384 MB of ram. The platform is ~5 years old and
I'm thinking of getting something new. I've found the
384 MB of ram to be useable (just) even when working with
scans using 16 bits per channel.

In looking at new systems a major difference is whether to
go with a system using 1GB of RDRAM memory (400mb/sec
front side bus) or one using 1GB of DDR memory (266mb/sec
front side bus). From what I've been able to discern RDRAM
memory will be faster with large ~100MB files.

Is RDRAM a better choice for systems used for scanning and
processing large 2d image files?

Does anyone have any suggestions for www sites that discuss
this issue?

Thanks and happy new year,
JimD