RE: filmscanners: Nikon 8000ED nightmares!!!

Actually, David was talking about me when he mentioned the manual focus and
reboot problem.  If I try to use the manual focus feature in the Minolta
software, the software will lock up when clicking ok after setting optimal
manual focus (according the black and white bars).  I then have to kill the
software and restart it but no reboot is necessary.  Strangely, point AF
works fine.

Also, as David mentioned, sometimes the SCSI bus won't recognize the scanner
if it's been shut off and I haven't rebooted the machine.  In other words,
turn on sscanner, boot pc, wait until PC is up and running, shut off scanner
and then turn it on again hours later.  The PC is a home-built dual PIII 866
running Win2K and the scanner is hooked to an Adaptec 29160N

Neither of these is a huge deal, especially the reboot thing, but manual
focus would be nice.

Overall, I'm very happy with it and I did have time with both the Nikon and
Polaroid so I could compare.  As far as I'm concerned, ICE is a must have
feature which ruled out the Polaroid.  Compared to the Nikon, independent of
any bugs it has, I'd still probably pick the Minolta since I like the film
holders better and I like the smaller size and quiter operation.

Paul Wilson

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.