Re: filmscanners: Canon 4000 scanner VS Nikon LS4000 >Mikael

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@ampsc.com>

> I think someone just quoted Nikon's own manual in one of the groups
> (maybe this one) and it stated that the LED brightness was altered
> (unfortunately, I deleted it  Aha! I found it in my trash bin...  I
> quote it below)  Maybe Nikon doesn't know what their own devices do,
> that wouldn't surprise me at all.
>
>  > In case it might be of interest, here's the text from my LS-30
>  >> Nikonscan manual (pdf file):
>  >>
>  >> Analog gain is used to adjust the intensity of the scanners light
>  >> source, emphasizing selected colors in the input image. The
>  >> controls for analog gain consist of four sliders: a master slider
>  >> that allows the user to increase the brightness of all LEDs in the
>  >> scanner's light source simultaneously, and red, green, and blue
>  >> sliders that allow independent adjustment of the red, green, and
>  >> blue LEDs.
>  >> Moving a slider to the right increases the intensity of the affected
>  >> LED; moving it to the left decreases the intensity. Click
>  >> the Help button for information on using analog gain.
>  >> Note: Setting the intensity of the scanner's light source too high
>  >> may produce 'smear' or other defects in the scanned image.
>
> Am I missing something in my reading of this?

Not particularly. Often, the marketing and documentation people in bigger
companies and corporations do not understand what the technical people have
wrought. Add to that the translation process from Japanese to English, and
even more caution must be taken reading technical stuff. Remember the
American Chevrolet Nova sent to Mexico? Nova translates to Spanish as "No
go", and that is where sales went.

Jim Snyder

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.