Re: filmscanners: Canon 4000 scanner VS Nikon LS4000 >Mikael

In a message dated 11/21/2001 8:07:15 AM EST, artistic@ampsc.com writes:

> Nikon might be approaching the limits of linearity in the LEDs.  They
>  also need to be able to have a range of brightness available to them for
>  the "analog exposure" they offer.

No, Nikon scanners don't vary the brightness of the LEDs.  The
"analog gain" option in NikonScan only changes the CCD exposure
time.  I've traced the commands that NikonScan sends to the
scanner, and the field it changes is definitely the CCD exposure
time field.

In addition, the scan speed is proportional to the "analog gain"
setting, which it wouldn't be if NikonScan were only changing
the brightness of the LEDs.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.