Re: filmscanners: Novice scanner

At 09:42 AM 11/21/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>First question - how large do you like to print?  If larger than 8 1/2 x
>11" then you probably should get a 4000spi scanner instead of the
>Acer.  If not then the Acer should be fine.

I like prints larger than 8 1/2 x 11 if the resolution is there.  I found a
math formula somewhere that produced the number 11 for the width of prints
with a 2720 scanner.  I supposed that would mean an 11" square print, or
maybe an 11 x 17.  You don't think the ScanWit will be satisfactory at 11 x 17?

>The grain that prints out - do you see it onscreen as well or only in the
>print?

It's hard to say.  When I enlarge the color image that has all the red
dots, almost to the stage of seeing the pixels, there is definitely color
spotting in the shadowed part of the church wall, but it's not the same red
dots that I get in a print.  When I enlarge the B&W image on the screen,
more and more grain becomes visible.

>If only in the print then it sounds like a printer problem - try cleaning
>the nozzles with Epson's software.

There's definitely some kind of "grain" on the screen, though not exactly
what I'm getting in prints, at least in color, anyway.  I have used Epson's
three utilities (clean nozzle, etc.) three or four times.

>  If onscreen then it may be what is called "dust and scratches".  You
> have probably read references to Digital ICE and to Vuescan's Dust and
> Scratches filter similar to ICE - they both help but they need an IR
> (infrared) channel to work.  Another possible reason to switch scanners
> as the ScanWit 2720S does not have the IR channel though their 2740 does.

I didn't know that Vuescan had an ICE-type feature; as you say, it would
not help with the 2720, anyway.

>There is also an article on what is called Grain Aliasing at
>http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Grain.htm - you might want to read that.

Thanks; I'll read it right after I finish here.

>Despite the discussions I would not be leery of the Nikon - I have the
>Nikon LS-30 and am very satisfied with it.  I also would not worry about
>Polaroid's problems - the price is excellent with the $200 rebate, and
>David Hemingway of Polaroid participates in this group and has assured us
>the product is still being manufactured and rebates processed.  I tend to
>trust his word on that.

That's good to know about David.  At the moment, if I were to get a new
scanner, it would be between the Polaroid and the Canoscan 4000.  The Nikon
might be a terrific scanner, but the price is a bit high for me.

>The banding problem is more particularized - when you print an image, what
>format is the image in (PSD, TIFF, JPEG, or what?)?  And what is the
>resolution that you are sending to the printer?

First, I have prints with no visible banding.  They were made using the
same settings as the prints that do show banding.  I have been printing @
6.666 x 10, as I like the 2:3 format of 35mm.  I've set the resolution at
300 dpi, and all prints are from TIFF files.  What seems even more puzzling
is that the slide that shows the most banding also shows bands in the scan
on the monitor.

>Good luck to you!  I started late myself.
>
>Maris Lidaka Sr

Thanks for your willingness to help Maris.  I hope that my answers to your
questions will give you some new ideas.

Regards,
John

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.