Re: filmscanners: Novice scanner

The best place to start is at http://www.scantips.com/
Wayne Fulton's information is succinct and accurate and will give you much good
information.  He also sells a book including more information, though I have
not bought it.

Optimal resolution to be sent to an hp printer is 300dpi, and to an Epson is
360dpi.  A scan of a 35mm film image results, on the LS-30 at 2700spi yields a
3800x2500 pixel image, approximately.  Sending that to the printer results in a
360dpi image at the 8x10 size, but only 220dpi at 11x17.  If the resulting
11x17 print looks good to you, then all is well.  Theoretically, a 4000spi
filmscanner would result in a better print.

The 'grain' is hard to deal with - enlarge to 100% and see what it looks like.
You may have to apply some noise filters in Photoshop or whatever image program
you are using - median, gaussian blur, dust & scratches, or whatever works.  Be
sure to apply them in individual color channels only - I find it helpful to
change to LAB color space, apply the median filter in the A and B channels, and
dust & scratches in the L channel.

Banding is generally a problem in broad expanses of the same color - especially
blue sky.  A way around it is to select the sky using a mask of some sort, then
apply (again) a median filter in the appropriate channels, or a gaussian blur.
This will even out the colors and inhibit banding.

Maris