filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: Digital ICE. To use or not?

Moreno wrote:
> Jack mentioned in another post that the ICE software has
> improved since it's earlier release; maybe that's the
> difference between the current scanners and the LS30.

I'm using the same version of Nikonscan as anyone with an LS40 or LS2000,
or LS8000.  What the LS30 can't do in Nikonscan 3.1 is GEM or colour
restoration,
but ICE^3 should be the same.  Having more bits from the A/D and higher
resolution in the newer scanners may also help with sharpness (although
there's only a tiny difference in resolution between the LS30 and LS40).

FWIW I don't use Nikonscan - I get better results faster with Vuescan.

> ICE on the 8000 just seems to work well, regardless of the
> scan size.

Which is an excellent bonus - it *ought* to work well considering the price
of the scanner! :)

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com