Re: filmscanners: Canon 4000 scanner VS Nikon LS4000

The answer is NO  to your question below Brian.
Do a test by your self. Take a slide or negative film. Select the auto focus
in the middle (NikonScan 3.1 or silverfast) and scan.
Look at the results.  Choose a new auto focus point the the corner or  side
of the film and scan.
You get 2 different results. One are  grain sharp in the middle and unsharp
in the corner. The other are sharp in the corner and not  sharp in the
middle. You can never get equal sharpness over the whole film  with a Nikon
scanner. I have done this test with 4 different
Ls 4000 scanner  -   same results. You get only a overall sharp picture
from the LS4000 scanner if you put the film in a glass frame. All film
curves a little bit and the lack of depth of field in LS 4000  produce a
poor overall resolution . ( Imacon scannner have F-stop 8 ) I belive LS4000
lens are wide open.
This is well known problem by Nikon , but Polaroid and now Canon can handle
the problem without any glass mounted film frames.
In last Photokina  Germany sept 2000 i discussed the problem with Nikon.
Nothing yet are done to solve the problem
Best Regards Mikael Risedal